Every now and then I come across spaces that get into my head. I do love design and go looking for inspiration everywhere I can, but I must confess – the feeling of total surrender in front of a room doesn’t come quite as often. More than the style of a space, it’s the little things and the atmosphere it conveys that get me interested. Or not.
This country living room / entrance / staircase is nothing short of beautiful to me. It belongs to graphic designer Ashley Putman and is part of her Texan farmhouse that was published a few years back in Lonny. It is a layered medley of rustic furnishings with more delicate lines of an English roll-arm sofa and great artwork display. One of my favorite details in the space is the contrasting trim. The perfect warm gray (or cool taupe) makes the interior architecture come to life. There’s warmth, texture and interest everywhere you look. It all feels effortless, almost undecorated. Don’t you just love rooms like this?
This gorgeous living room inspired me to shop around for just the right elements that could recreate such a look.
- Glass base lamp, a classic design that goes with every style.
- Alabaster grape sculpture, a favorite decorative detail for so many designers. For this one, I found one on Chairish but it sold out this morning. You can try Ebay, or other vintage goods shops.
- I love this sculptural lamp base, in a deep rich green. A similar one here.
- This vintage rattan chair would look smart as an accent seat.
- A rustic walnut coffee table. This one is another classic piece that blends well in many different spaces.
- I will always love an English roll-arm sofa. This soft stripe in blue and tan adds a chic, coastal note.
- Natural fiber rugs are always great for layering. I particularly love this diamond patterned sisal one from Dash & Albert.
- One of the most charming details in the living room above is the contrasting moulding in a warm gray / light taupe . This one in particular is called Elephant’s Breath by Farrow & Ball and is one of my favorite warm grays out there.
- A cute little stool with bobbin legs, because I can never resist a bobbin leg!