As it always happens with major red carpet events, our beloved celebrities get judged and probed, and neatly placed on the naughty or nice lists of best and worst dressed of the night.
Although fashion is fluid and often subjective, there are a few names that just get it right. Each and every time, with each red carpet look (I’m staring at you, Natalie Portman!).
There were many hits this year but way too many misses and surprises too. Lots of washed-out colors, ribbons and bows, lots of sparkle and see-through apparitions that simply didn’t belong. There were also great gowns, although not as risky as I’d have loved to see.
The absolute winners for me this year were the ladies in yellow. Yellow ruled the red carpet, from Reese Witherspoon’s perfect Versace dress, to Ms. Portman’s canary yellow Prada number and Viola Davis’ shimmery gown. Here is my nice list of the ten best dressed girls of the night (sorry gents!).
10. Heidi Klum. A very pleasant surprise, German super model Heidi Klum looks the part.
9. Gillian Anderson. She’s beautiful regardless, but this dress is a dream. It could easily inspire the next bridal season too.
8. Chrissy Teigen. Now, this dress surprised me. I normally go for solids with minimal embellishments but there is something about this gown, on her, that makes me love it. Perfect lip and clutch game.
7. Octavia Spencer had a difficult task making a menswear inspired outfit look feminine, but she managed beautifully! She looks gorgeous and polished. I love her choice of accessories too – strappy heals and candelabra earrings. Maybe I would have chosen a redder lip but she looks beautiful anyway, as is!
6. Caitriona Balfe is a dream in this sculptural Delpozo, color-block dress.
5. Emma Stone in Valentino. Speechless! She took a risk pairing this dress with her light complexion but those gorgeous red tresses pull the outfit together.
4. Natalie Portman in Prada. Channeling Jakie O, she looks flawless as always in an outfit her character would certainly approve of!
3. Naomie Harris in Armani Privé is a wonderful surprise. Her metallic gown is one of the best dresses of the night!
2. Blake Lively in Atelier Versace. Red carpet babe Blake Lively looked lovely as always. Gone are her Gossip Girl days! Her style has matured into something incredible and lately she’s one of the best dressed on any given red carpet, particularly last Sunday’s. She gets second place on my list!
1. Reese Witherspoon in Versace. Hands down, my favorite look at the Golden Globes this year was Reese Witherspooon in Versace. She’s one of those gorgeous southern belles that look flawless no matter what. Her dress, hair and accessories are chic, feminine, so classic. After all, that’s what we love Reese for!!
As for the naughty list, here is one I totally agree with 🙂
Any thoughts? What did you think of Sunday’s hoopla?