Okay, so another cinematographic year has passed! A few years ago we started this tradition of watching the Oscars and I’m so glad we did because this edition was a memorable one! Incredibly entertaining, the 89th Oscars were one of the best in recent history, I dare say! It had all the right ingredients: great movies, great host and the right kind of humor, social message, amazing speeches (Viola Davis, Mahershala Ali…), diversity, and of course lovely gowns.
First off, the show started with Justin Timberlake’s performance of Can’t Stop The Feeling!, part of those sweet Trolls movie soundtrack. Catchy and happy, I still can’t get it out off my head (like most of Timberlake’s tunes). Next, Jimmy Kimmel rocked it as host!!!! Big time! Joke after joke, he was on point and had us laughing all the way. Tweet, tweet!!!
Now the ending, although not planned, was a real shocker!!! For the first time in the history of the Oscars, the presenters announced the wrong winner. La La Land mistakenly won Best Picture for about two minutes, creating an embarrassing confusion that was painful to watch! After an envelope mix-up, the real winner was revealed – Moonlight. I truly felt bad for Warren Beatty and the La La Land cast but happy that a great movie like Moonlight won.
Now, when it comes to the red carpet, most of the stars have redeemed themselves for earlier award season mishaps. The list of best dressed could be lengthier than this but I’ve narrowed my favorites to ten. Plus two extra I just have to mention!!!
10. Leslie Mann in a canary yellow Zac Posen gown. Belle made it to the ball after all!!
9. Priyanka Chopra in a geometric Ralph & Russo number. We’ve seen this dress over and over again on the red carpet, it is a safe choice but what makes it special is the structured neckline and texture. I also love Priyanka’s choice of twin bracelets.
8. One of my favorite actresses in Hollywood right now, Viola Davis looked ravishing in an Armani Privé floor-length dress. Her acceptance speech was flooring too!!
7. Emma Stone looked her usual pretty in a vintage Givenchy dress. I would love to see her take more risks on the red carpet with bolder color choices!
6. There’s something about Brie Larson’s Oscar de la Renta gown that is fascinating. It is fluid and beautifully contrasts with her fair skin tone. It reminds me of flamenco dresses, created for movement.
6. Naomie Harris in Calvin Klein. SIMPLE and STUNNING!
4. Jessica Biel is one lucky girl in Kaufmanfranco! She also wore arm candy and the best jewelry piece of the night.
3. We enter into dream teritory with this last three gowns. First of all, I am in love with Kristen Dunst’s look!! An old Hollywood glam Dior dress with pockets is all I want for Christmas this year! Second, those heels are perfection. The messy updo and red lip finish this outfit perfectly.
2. Okay, this girl is quickly becoming one of my favorite red carpet gals to watch. Taraji P. Henson nailed it in a dark blue Alberta Ferretti dress that had most of us stunned. She looks insanely good with or without those Nirav Modi diamonds! PERFECTION of a woman.
My most favorite look of the night was Felicity Jones wearing a nude Dior gown. I know opinions are divided about her choice but personally, I think it is fabulous. She looks graceful, feminine, out of this world beautiful! Me thinks 🙂
Now there were at least two other actresses looking fabulous last night that are worth mentioning too:
Isabelle Hupert in a glittery Armani Privé reminds me of Angelina Jolie’s dress from a few years ago.
Octavia Spencer in this beautiful, pale blue/grey feathery Marchesa gown!
Well done, ladies!
What do you think? Any red carpet favorites from last night?